Monday, March 31, 2008

Great Egret


Monday Morning March 31st



Meadowbrook Park, Howard County, Maryland



Cold and wet and drizzling. Opening day at OriolePark ( bet that will be fun, 40 degrees wet and windy. Just the way you want to a Baseball Game).

As I emerged from the car and started down the path I looked up and spotted a large white bird. My first reaction was "sea gull", then I realized that this was a LARGE white bird. My first Great Egret of the year. They are not uncommon, but not plentiful and this is just about the time of year they start arriving.

I also spotted a Chipping Sparrow (70). There really wasn't anything else of note, as usual lots of LBJ's (little brown jobs - which covers a wide variety little brown birds that hop from tree to thicket to bush and back) and water fowl.

Go Orioles













1 comment:

My Open Nest said...

Very cool photo. Thanks for sharing your bird walk even though I was still fast asleep.

I can't imagine being at Camden Yards today to watch the opening day of the Orioles. Brrrrr......
Go O's!