Monday, April 7, 2008

Brown Thrasher


Sunday, April 6th


On a walk around Centennial Lake very early on Sunday morning 6:45 am. I was out before the fishermen. Netted just one new sighting, a Brown Thrasher(78). He is a handsome bird with a wonderful vocal range when it is trying to impress the ladies and declaring his territory. This guy was in the tree top singing his own praises and calling out his warnings. But, usually you will find them literally crashing around in the under growth and brushy parts on a wooded area, hence, the name "thrasher".

1 comment:

Renna said...

This is the time of year when the Brown Thrashers show up in our neighborhood in abundance. In fact, I think I first spotted one a couple of weeks ago.

I rescued a baby Brown Thrasher from a cat chasing it down the street a few years ago. It was a comical and friendly little bird, one of the more fun baby birds I've tended.

Brown Thrashers are striking looking birds. I never tire of seeing them. They remind me alot of a Mockingbird in their build, though not their color.