Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It was a Warbler kind of day.

I arrived lakeside late this morning 7:40 am, but couldn't seem to venture much past the bumper of my car. In a small stand of trees next to the boat ramp/dock, where I always park, the trees were teeming with Pine Warblers, Palm Warblers, Yellow Rumped Warblers, Tree Swallows and Northern Rough Winged Swallows.

With all that activity I was hoping for maybe one new arrival. But if something new was there I didn't see it.


After about 10 minutes of watching all these little guys hoping from branch to branch I was struck that it was much like watching popcorn through binoculars while standing in the kitchen, very challenging.

After that everything was pretty bland until I, quite by chance, came across a Ruby Crowned Kinglet (82) on the far side of the lake. That put a bounce in my step.


After I had completed the circle of the lake and I was again watching the "popcorn", I was blessed with a prolonged view of a searching Osprey. She was magnificent. So enthralled I forgot to snap what would have been a beautiful shot.

What I found interesting was that while the Osprey circled back and forth looking for breakfast, it is primarily a fish eater, the birds in the trees right below were unperturbed by his close proximity. If it had been a Red Tailed Hawk there would not have been a warbler in sight. Is God's design awesome?

BTW, Number (81) was actually viewed last Friday morning at Centennial Lake. A Swamp Sparrow.

2 comments:

Renna said...

Congratulations on 81 & 82!

Sharon said...

I've enjoyed living vicariously through you and other bird watchers. We don't have the variety where we live, as you do.